Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Life is a highway...

"Life's like a road that you traveled on--where there's one day you're here & the next day gone
Sometimes you bend--sometimes you stand--sometimes you turn your back to the wind

There's a world outside every darkened door--where blues won't haunt you anymore
Where the brave are free--and the lovers soar
Come ride with me to a distant shore

Life is a highway--I want to ride it all night long
If you're going my way--I want to drive it all night long"

Have you ever heard this song? It brings back great memories from early high school--carefree days filled with hot summer days & cool fun-filled nights.

As I've gotten older, and I catch a bit or piece of this song on the radio, I realize how accurate the words of this song are--life does seem to zoom by--each day faster than the last--zipping by like cars on the highway of life.

Gratefully, every once in awhile, there are events or decisions that bring you to an intersection and exiting the fast pace of life momentarily.

I love being a SAHM. I love the sweet moments that are exclusive for Schaeffer Jo and me--the mements just after her nap when she just wants to snuggle. The times in the afternoon when while still sleepy, she wants to snuggle under 1000 blankets and read books. The picnics we make and eat lunch on the floor while watching Max & Ruby. All good, sweet things that I've stored away in the bank of my memory.

But, all the while, there is this nagging sensation that I'm missing something. That the entire professional world has gone on without me--and I'll forever be trying to catch back up. Which, of course, brings us back to the aforementioned crossroads.

Should I work? Shouldn't I work? Should I stay home? How long? Will I ever find a comprable job to the one I once held? Am I doing enough to maintain my professional contacts? All of these questions leave me bewildered and scratching my head.

So, back onto the highway I go--screaming down the road, with a smile on my face & Schaeffer Jo as my number one passenger (for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment