Sunday, October 24, 2010

gratitude is an attitude

The troops came down from Grand Rapids today to celebrate my birthday. We had planned to go to the ZooBoo!, but had to cancel from the forecasted rain.

We've got a lot going on in the family right now--my mom is scheduled for her third knee surgery (in as many years) on November 17th, for which we're hopeful will be less invasive than the last two.

Nikki & Josh (my sister & brother-in-law) are scheduled for a C-section to deliver their second baby on December 14th. They're expecting a girl, my second niece! It's exciting to watch our family grow--and to enjoy the privileges of being an Auntie.

With that said, it is wonderful to be together--but there is an ever-present under current of anxiety. I'm anxious for my mom's surgery day--for the outcome--and for the constant question of 'will this time work?'. I'm anxious for my sister, for the birth, the baby, and their transition into a family of four.

So many sweet moments can be so overshadowed by worry--and I don't want to let anxiety be the lord of my life. I want to choose to rely on the Sovereign One, the faithful God who in control of the future.

"If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. The minute I said, "I'm slipping, I'm falling" your love, God, took hold and held me fast. When I was upset and beside myself, you calmed me down and cheered me up." Psalm 94:18MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment