Monday, October 24, 2011

Laminectonmy: Ouch!

a diagram of the affected vertebra


Laminectomy is a spine operation to remove the portion of the vertebral bone called the lamina. There are many variations of laminectomy. In the most minimal form small skin incisions are made, back muscles are pushed aside rather than cut, and the parts of the vertebra adjacent to the lamina are left intact. The traditional form of laminectomy (conventional laminectomy) excises much more than just the lamina; the entire posterior backbone is removed, along with overlying ligaments and muscles. The usual recovery period is very different depending on which type of laminectomy has been performed: days in the minimal procedure, and weeks to months with conventional open surgery.


A few months ago I blogged about my dad's current health situation (Link HERE) which brought us to surgery today. There were many uncertainties with the procedure, where the mass was located, if the mass was a cyst or a tumor, if the mass would require chemo/radiation, if the surgery would result in paralasys. 


I know that God's goodness is not dependent on successful surgery outcomes--nor would cancer change God's great love for my dad--or us. I'm overwhelmed by the community of believers that have surrounded us through these days of hardship--the prayers that have been offered on our behalf, the love that has been extended, the offers to help and the care that's been given to Schaeffer Jo. 



"I bless God every chance I get; my lungs expand with his praise. I live and breathe God; if things aren't going well, hear this and be happy: Join me in spreading the news; together let's get the word out. God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears. Look at him; give him your warmest smile. Never hide your feelings from him. When I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot. God's angel sets up a circle
of protection around us while we pray. Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see— how good God is. Blessed are you who run to him." Ps 34:1-8MSG

2 comments:

  1. Bless God! Thrilled that the outcome seems to be the best possible scenario. I will get the info on the prayer sheet at Crossroads tomorrow and talk to Rod about visiting your dad. I'm guessing that tomorrow could be a tough day. Should we just shoot for Wednesday or Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. KIm, the doctor has been in this morning and dad is doing well. He is tolerating the pain as long as we keep up on his medications.

    As for a visit from Rod, my mom said that our schedule pretty locked in for the next 48 hours--we'll be here.

    We'll look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete