Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One giant step for the Ott house!

Schaeffer has clothes on, real clothes on! Schaeffer has clothes on before noon!

Funny, how the smallest things become landmarks. Today, a sweet girlfriend dropped off a chai before heading to Bible Study Fellowship. Before I knew it, Schaeffer girl a had grabbed the chai & was sucking it down. Another small thing, but encouraging. It is so good to see her 'eating' anything with calories--I'll settle for cookies, doughnuts or even chai.

Most of the disgusting bodily functions have ceased-she'll still have the occasional diarrhea, but it has transitioned from 'growler' stage (where all garments are instantly covered) to a much more manageable state.

Her energy seems to be picking up, but I also know that we've basically been home and done nothing since Saturday. So, we need to continue to be very judicious with our exertion level & the choices we make for activity.

I've (Kate) been thinking a lot about our appointment on Friday. I know that we are putting much stock in this one hour, brief visit with a new doctor. I want to be careful to not put so much expectation on this one event & hoping for a diagnosis, that when it doesn't happen (the way I want it to), it doesn't leave us devastated.

So, I'm praying in a new way today. Would it still be MY choice for Schaeffer to receive a diagnosis & treatment plan-yes. But, it may not be God's plan--and that has to be OK with me. Would I choose to schlep to every prestigious hospital in the U.S. until we get an answer for my beloved--Yes. But, this may not be what God has for us.

So, again we wait. But knowing that I'm waiting on the God of the universe-the God who gives Schaeffer life & breath-the God who loves me so much he sacrificed his own Son... I can wait.

"We pray that you'll have the strength to stick it out over the long haul-not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength that God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy." Col 1:11 MSG


No comments:

Post a Comment